Hello, bonjour, здрасти, cześć, hola!
Welcome to our jobs page, do you share our vision of a world powered by renewable energy?
Please review the job descriptions below for roles we're actively seeking to fill. If no relevant positions are posted then send us an email explaining what role you would like and why you're the right person for it! You might also like to read our peer-to-peer trial report for background on what we've been up to and browse our blog for latest news from the team.
We are an ambitious software startup based in London. In 2015 we launched our flagship Piclo® peer-to-peer energy marketplace for UK business customers with our first partner Good Energy. The company is at a very exciting stage, with a proven product, global interest from potential clients and a Series A fundraising round on the horizon. We have upcoming trials of Piclo in both the Netherlands and in Italy. We have a rapidly growing pipeline of utilities across the world who want to launch a P2P solution in their home market.
We are looking for an ambitious and passionate business developer to lead Open Utility’s commercial team in this exciting new international growth phase. You will work closely with James (CEO and co-founder) in securing new partnerships across the world, and with Alice (CPO and co-founder) in strengthening relationships with existing clients and providing market feedback for our product roadmap. You are a great communicator, a natural leader and comfortable building scalable teams and processes.
B2B experience (but not a traditionalist)
You will have experience in developing new business and maintaining accounts with large, regulated businesses across the world, including exposure to the energy/utility sector. It’s important that you have a track record in proposal development and contract negotiations in a complicated B2B sales cycle. We are not looking for a traditionalist. We are fundamentally a technology startup. We want someone who understands highly scalable systems and lean startup tactics. On the other hand, we are looking for someone who understands the slow pace of change at utilities (and the inevitable clash of demands/contradictions that this situation creates). We want someone who sees our challenges as an opportunity to prove that it can be done!
You will take responsibility in meeting our growth targets (including revenue and partner sign-up targets). You will own the processes for our go-to-market strategies, including market positioning, pricing, proposal development and contract negotiations. You’ll need to show us examples of when you have done this successfully in the past. You will be comfortable with international and domestic travel to customers, conferences, events, however this role will be mainly based in the office. You will have a track record in hiring, managing and growing a dispersed global team. We are looking for someone that is process driven, who doesn’t optimise too early, but always has an eye for future scalability.
You will be joining the team at the start of the growth phase, and as such you will have to be happy rolling up your sleeves and getting on with the grind before the team expands. In reality this means you may need to do most of the legwork for the next few deals while building a wider strategy and pulling in the resources to support you. You need to be simultaneously comfortable working in the uncertain startup environment, with the patience of working in the slow moving energy sector. One moment you will be leading a contract negotiation with one of EU’s largest utilities, and in the next you will be managing email marketing lists in Mailchimp.
Working at Open Utility
You’ll join our friendly team, where sales, design, development and business roles all work together. You’ll be trusted to do your job and self-manage, this includes choosing when and how often to take holidays or to work remotely. At our core we are innovators. When we founded in 2013, we were amongst the first companies in the world to evelop a P2P marketplace solution. We are never content with settling for the status quo and are always pushing ourselves to go that little bit further. We are a design led company. Products don’t just need to look good, they need to be simple and intuitive to use. We always start with the customer in our design process, which stands us apart from traditional companies that serve the energy industry. Finally, we are mission driven. We want to support the transition to a world powered by cheap, clean and abundant energy.
- Minimum 8 years commercial experience, plus 2 years managing a growing team
- Energy sector experience
- Commercial team revenue responsibility (including new business and existing accounts)
- B2B partnerships / working with corporates
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
- Contracting & commercial negotiations
- SaaS product experience
- Global working/client experience
- Commercial strategy/market research & entry
- B2B Marketing experience
Job details and application process
- Full time position in our London (Shoreditch) office
- Remote working possible (aim of >3days/week in the office)
- Candidates must already have permission to work in the UK (EU resident or working visa)
- Salary up to £55k - £70k (pro rata) depending on experience
- Share options available (following probation)
- Job starts September 2017.
- To apply, please send us an email that details; why you want to work for us, how your experience has prepared you for this role, a link to your online CV or LinkedIn.
- An initial 30 min phone call with a director will preceed an interview with pre-prepared presentation by the candidate
- No recruiters or agencies please.
Thanks for your interest in our Full Stack Developer role here at Open Utility. We’re a London based startup shaking up the energy industry. We build well designed digital services to support the transition to a decentralised energy future.
Off the back of our successful trial of Piclo® (our Peer-to-Peer matching service) we launched a commercial SaaS solution with Good Energy here in the UK. This initial service gives business energy consumers complete transparency and choice in where their energy is produced. We are receiving interest across Europe and further afield with other energy retailers who want to offer this service to their customers, so we’re looking to scale up the development team to support growth and further innovation.
We need an experienced full-stack developer to join our production team. The role will be to work closely with Andy our CTO as well as the rest of the team to maintain and build up our backend systems. We receive a growing amount of energy consumption and production data which we process through our matching algorithm to provide our end users with transparency of where their energy came from / went to. This role would cover building out APIs to facilitate scaling of our service to more users in new markets. New features will need to fit alongside ongoing maintenance to continue providing the high customer satisfaction we pride ourselves on. You’ll need to be familiar with large data sets, data structures as well as working collaboratively with a mixed discipline production team. Communication is key to our working processes and we’d expect candidates to demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills. This role would suit someone who likes solving interesting problems with innovative ideas. The production team processes are all set up to support team members to get involved in the setting of tasks and have supported autonomy in their completion.
- Minimum 4 years relevant experience in full stack dev roles.
- Advanced knowledge of Python, Django, and SQL
- Best practices, TDD, git
- AWS, EC2, S3, ECS, docker
- Blockchain, DLT
5 reasons to work for us
- Freedom and support to help shape the direction of our infrastructure - you’ll be able to look back and say ‘I did that’.
- You’ll join our friendly team, where sales, design, development and business roles all work collaboratively together.
- You’ll be trusted to do your job and self-manage, this includes choosing when and how often to take holidays, or to work remotely for short or extended periods of time.
- We’ve spent 4 years improving our processes. We run focussed sprints, continuously integrate and deploy, and yet are always looking to improve.
- We are a mission driven team, with a product being used by people every day, backed by industry veterans, with ambitions to propel the world to a squanderable abundance of renewable energy.
Job details and application process
- Role offered on an initial 6 months contract (ongoing position dependant on company fundraising).
- Full time position in our London (Shoreditch) office.
- Candidates must already have permission to work in the UK (EU resident or working visa).
- No relocation support available.
- Salary up to £45K (pro rata) depending on experience.
- PAYE only (no contractors please, we're building a team).
- Job starts ASAP.
- To apply, please send us an email that details; why you want to work for us, how your experience has prepared you for this role, a link to your online CV or LinkedIn and your GitHub or similar.
- A development task and a 15 min Skype call will take place before second interviews at our London office with the CTO.
- No recruiters or agencies please.
Core working hours are flexible as is location. Feel free to work from home if you’d like, or plan a longer remote working trip.
We require you to 'switch off' for at least 28 days a year and are happy for you to add a few extra if needed.
Fridays end early with team drinks and a tour of the latest product developments. There’s also the odd team lunch and more regular pub trips.