Hello, bonjour, здрасти, cześć, hola!
Welcome to our jobs page, do you share our vision of a world powered by renewable energy?
Please review the job descriptions below for roles we're actively seeking to fill. If no relevant positions are posted then send us an email explaining what role you would like and why you're the right person for it! You might also like to read our peer-to-peer trial report for background on what we've been up to and browse our blog for latest news from the team.
Thanks for your interest in our Backend Developer role here at Open Utility. We’re a London based start-up shaking up the energy industry. Our vision is a world powered by cheap, clean, and abundant energy. In 2015 we trialled Piclo® (our Peer-to- Peer electricity matching service) and off the back of that we successfully launched a commercial service with Good Energy here in the UK to make renewable energy more tangible.
The UK was a good start but we’ve already started expanding internationally - with customers in Italy and the Netherlands and this year’s pipeline looking even further afield!
And now Open Utility is at the start of a second government funded innovation project - this time to build an electricity flexibility marketplace - allowing local grid operators to procure location specific flexibility from sellers on a marketplace.
About the role
The production team makes up the biggest part of our small company, and we’re looking to add more developers to that team. This role will be focused on the backend of both our commercial matching service and our new flexibility marketplace. Based on our current pipeline, you can expect to get involved in:
- Working on new features and improvements to make people’s experience with their energy better
- Rolling out the Piclo Platform to more international regions
- Maintaining and improving the security, privacy and integrity of our data
- Splitting our Django macro-service(s) into micro-services with well-defined APIs
This role would suit someone who likes solving interesting problems with innovative ideas. You’ll be supported by Andy our CTO, and the rest of the production team using our well defined yet simple processes - we use Trello over Jira. We would like to speak to people with:
- At least 4 years relevant experience in backend dev roles.
- Most of that time should be with Python
- A good knowledge of SQL, we use PostgreSQL, but experience with other database types and their pros and cons is a bonus
- AWS, or other cloud platform
- Good software practices (code review, testing, documentation)
- Bonus experience: Django (and DRF), Ansible, Docker
- Extra bonus is an interest in data, algorithms or security
Working with us
We’re a very open and collaborative company. You will need to be able to communicate and work closely with a mixed discipline team. Our processes are all set up to support team members to get involved in the setting of tasks and have supported autonomy in their completion.
On joining, you can expect your choice of laptop (we’re all about choice after all), a nice monitor, a shared library (or access to the company Amazon account to add to it), a personal allowance for training/shiny toys and remote working - for days when you just can’t face the tube (or have a puncture).
What we offer
- Although we’re pretty flexible when it comes to when and where you work, we’d prefer to spend most of your time in our London (Shoreditch) office
- Freedom and support to help shape the direction of our infrastructure - you’ll be able to look back and say ‘I did that’
- You’ll join our friendly team, where sales, design, development and business roles all work collaboratively together
- You’ll be trusted to do your job and self-manage, this includes choosing when and how often to take holidays, or to work remotely for short or extended periods of time
- We’ve spent 5 years improving our processes. We run focussed sprints, continuously integrate and deploy, and yet are always looking to improve
- We are a mission driven team, with a product being used by people every day, backed by industry veterans, with ambitions to propel the world to a squanderable abundance of renewable energy
- Salary will depend on experience but will be in the range of £45,000-£65,000
Core working hours are flexible as is location. Feel free to work from home if you’d like, or plan a longer remote working trip.
We require you to 'switch off' for at least 28 days a year and are happy for you to add a few extra if needed.
Fridays end early with team drinks and a tour of the latest product developments. There’s also the odd team lunch and more regular pub trips.