Hello, bonjour, здрасти, cześć, hola!
Welcome to our jobs page, do you share our vision of a world powered by renewable energy?
Please review the job descriptions below for roles we're actively seeking to fill. If no relevant positions are posted then send us an email explaining what role you would like and why you're the right person for it! You might also like to read our peer-to-peer trial report for background on what we've been up to and browse our blog for latest news from the team.
Thanks for your interest in our Full Stack Developer role here at Open Utility. We’re a London based startup shaking up the energy industry. We build well designed digital services to support the transition to a decentralised energy future.
Off the back of our successful trial of Piclo® (our Peer-to-Peer matching service) we launched a commercial SaaS solution with Good Energy here in the UK. This initial service gives business energy consumers complete transparency and choice in where their energy is produced. We are receiving interest across Europe and further afield with other energy retailers who want to offer this service to their customers, so we’re looking to scale up the development team to support growth and further innovation.
We need an experienced full-stack developer to join our production team. The role will be to work closely with Andy our CTO as well as the rest of the team to maintain and build up our backend systems. We receive a growing amount of energy consumption and production data which we process through our matching algorithm to provide our end users with transparency of where their energy came from / went to. This role would cover building out APIs to facilitate scaling of our service to more users in new markets. New features will need to fit alongside ongoing maintenance to continue providing the high customer satisfaction we pride ourselves on. You’ll need to be familiar with large data sets, data structures as well as working collaboratively with a mixed discipline production team. Communication is key to our working processes and we’d expect candidates to demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills. This role would suit someone who likes solving interesting problems with innovative ideas. The production team processes are all set up to support team members to get involved in the setting of tasks and have supported autonomy in their completion.
- Minimum 4 years relevant experience in full stack dev roles.
- Advanced knowledge of Python, Django, and SQL
- Best practices, TDD, git
- AWS, EC2, S3, ECS, docker
- Blockchain, DLT
5 reasons to work for us
- Freedom and support to help shape the direction of our infrastructure - you’ll be able to look back and say ‘I did that’.
- You’ll join our friendly team, where sales, design, development and business roles all work collaboratively together.
- You’ll be trusted to do your job and self-manage, this includes choosing when and how often to take holidays, or to work remotely for short or extended periods of time.
- We’ve spent 4 years improving our processes. We run focussed sprints, continuously integrate and deploy, and yet are always looking to improve.
- We are a mission driven team, with a product being used by people every day, backed by industry veterans, with ambitions to propel the world to a squanderable abundance of renewable energy.
Job details and application process
- Role offered on an initial 6 months contract (ongoing position dependant on company fundraising).
- Full time position in our London (Shoreditch) office.
- Candidates must already have permission to work in the UK (EU resident or working visa).
- No relocation support available.
- Salary up to £45K (pro rata) depending on experience.
- PAYE only (no contractors please, we're building a team).
- Job starts ASAP.
- To apply, please send us an email that details; why you want to work for us, how your experience has prepared you for this role, a link to your online CV or LinkedIn and your GitHub or similar.
- A development task and a 15 min Skype call will take place before second interviews at our London office with the CTO.
- No recruiters or agencies please.
Core working hours are flexible as is location. Feel free to work from home if you’d like, or plan a longer remote working trip.
We require you to 'switch off' for at least 28 days a year and are happy for you to add a few extra if needed.
Fridays end early with team drinks and a tour of the latest product developments. There’s also the odd team lunch and more regular pub trips.